Earlier today, we announced an enhancement to the Global Food Security Index (GFSI) that captures the impact of changes in global food prices at the national level where price fluctuations are felt most directly.
Commissioned by DuPont and developed by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), the Price Adjustment Factor captures the impact of changing food prices and income growth over time. In response to the rising cost of food, mainly in June of this year, the Index recorded a slight decline in food security globally.
- A unique feature that captures the impact of changing food prices on each country’s ability to afford food.
- Analysis of key findings.
- Definition of 25 global indicators that measure specific aspects of food affordability, accessibility, availability, nutritional value and safety.
- An interactive heat map of overall scores and detail of category results.
- Adjustable weightings to allow for scenario planning.
- The ability to compare multiple countries simultaneously and adjust rankings by indicators.
- A country details page that allows a food-security drill down into individual economies.
Visit foodsecurityindex.eiu.com for information and to interact with the Price Adjustment Factor.
What do you think the greatest opportunities and challenges to food security are? Take a look at this infographic highlighting the results of the Global Food Security Index to give you some ideas.